- First great worldwide Islamic empire
- Successor to caliphs who were successors to Muhammad
- They establish a dynasty
- Also established the capitol outside, in Damascus.
- In Damascus, you can find Christianity, Judaism, and Islam coexisting in fairly tolerant terms.
- Didn't impose Islam faith, but the Umayyads forced one to pay a tax.
Spread of Islam During the Umayyad CaliphateEdit
- Established garrisons of Islamic soldiers on the borders, which eventually become towns.
- This attracts non-Muslims to there, and after interacting with people all the time, people become Muslim.
- Then, people would learn Arabic, and also learn Islamic ideals (which they liked).
- Arabic replaces ancient tongues of Palestine, Syria, Mesopotamia, Egypt and North Africa, but doesn't replace Persian and Latin.
- Arabic becomes main tongue of everyone outside of Arabian Peninsula.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.