Spread of Islam[edit | edit source]
- Spreading began with the Umayyad Caliphate
- Result of urbanization
- Umayyad Caliphate set up garrisons to establish control of conquered territories.
- Garrisons attracted non-muslims for economic and political reasons
- The Arabic language spread so converts can become become better Muslims, wanted to read the Qu'ran and other Muslim texts
- Arabic replaces Palestinian, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Syrian, N African tongue, but not Persian or old Latin in Iberian Penninsula (which evolved in Portugese and Spanish)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.